For the first time this season, we run our simulation of how we’d choose this year’s CIF Southern California regional bowl games based on results so far. Look for video presentations soon when the section playoffs get even more in focus. There’s no doubt that whichever powerhouse team wins the CIF Southern Section Division I title that that team would then go to the CIF Open Division state final. We currently then have Narbonne and Cathedral Catholic meeting in D1AA.
Some of our CIF state bowl game breakdowns will be for Gold Club members only. Sign up today to see all of our exclusive content, record lists, historical features and more for as low as $9.99 for three months. For details, CLICK HERE.
To see our first CIF NorCal Bowl Board and which teams would be in the same CIF state divisions, CLICK HERE.
NOTES TO KNOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN
1. Each board is based on the Cal-Hi Sports state rankings as of the current week. The teams on the board represent the highest-ranked team within each section playoff division.
2. Teams on the board will change constantly as the playoffs unfold within each division. These are extremely fluid lineups of teams.
3. There is no CIF Small Schools Open Division game this season and this year there also is no stipulation that the Division I, Division III and Division V teams from the CIF Central Section will be in the north. The only rule the CIF is following when the commissioners meet on Dec. 4 is that three teams from either the Central Section or Southern Section could be placed into a NorCal regional bowl game. This is because some areas of the Southern Section (think San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara counties) are actually to the north of some counties in the Central Section.
4. All teams that qualify for the board on Dec. 4 by winning a CIF section title will be seeded in order from No. 1 through No. 25. An Open Division runner-up also can be seeded higher than any section champion based on established criteria, such as head-to-head results or strength of schedule.
5. This year’s competitive equity divisions in the CIF Southern Section will not necessarily fall into the same order for these bowl games. For example, if it were to win in Division 5 in the Southern Section, Calabasas definitely could be placed higher in the bowl games than the section’s champions from higher-numbered divisions.
6. Finally, remember that schools can elect not to participate in the CIF bowl games. This simulation was run assuming that every section champion will want to be in the bowl games.
CIF BOWL BOARD
(Listed in ranking order)
(Does not include any results from Thursday night, Oct. 13 or Friday, Oct. 14)
Centennial (Corona) 5-1
CIF Southern Section Division I representive
(We’re not saying the Huskies are better than either Mater Dei, St. John Bosco or Mission Viejo; just that this week they’re No. 1 in our own rankings)
Narbonne (Harbor City) 6-0 vs. Cathedral Catholic (San Diego) 6-0
L.A. City Section Division I projected winner & San Diego Section Open Division
Murrieta Valley (Murrieta) 4-2 vs. Calabasas 7-0
Southern Section Division II & Southern Section Division V
Cathedral (Los Angeles) 6-0 vs. Hawkins (Los Angeles) 6-0
Southern Section Division III & L..A. City Division II
Madison (San Diego) 5-1 vs. Charter Oak (Covina) 6-0
San Diego Section Division I & Southern Section Division IV
(Madison still may end up in San Diego Open Division; but this week the Warhawks are not in the top eight in that section’s own power rankings)
Mater Dei Catholic (Chula Vista) 5-1 vs. Los Altos (Hacienda Heights) 6-0
San Diego Section Division II & Southern Section Division VI
San Dimas 6-0 vs. Bishop’s (La Jolla) 6-0
Southern Section Division VIII vs. San Diego Section Division III
(Grace Brethren was listed here on this post previously, but according to CIFSS is ineligible for postseason relating to same case from last season in which school had to forfeit in CIFSS title game)
Pacifica (Oxnard) 5-2 vs. Notre Dame (Riverside) 4-2*
Southern Section Division VII & Southern Section Division IX
Santa Ynez 6-0 vs. Hanford 4-3
Southern Section Division X & Central Section Division III
La Jolla Country Day (La Jolla) 5-1 vs. Culver City 4-2
San Diego Section Division IV & Southern Section Division XI
Segerstrom (Santa Ana) 6-0 vs. Franklin (Los Angeles) 7-0
Southern Section Division XII vs. L.A. City Division III
Mendota 6-0 vs. Campbell Hall (North Hollywood) 7-0
Central Section Division V & Southern Section Division XIII
Calexico 5-1 vs. Strathmore 6-0
San Diego Section Division VI vs. Central Section Division VI