For the first time this season, we run our simulation of how we’d choose this year’s CIF Northern California regional bowl games based on results so far. Look for video presentations soon when the section playoffs get even more in focus. It’s shaky, but we still have De La Salle (Concord) as the NorCal Open Division team with Stockton St. Mary’s & new North Coast Section Open Division runner-up meeting in D1AA.
Some of our CIF state bowl game breakdowns will be for Gold Club members only. Sign up today to see all of our exclusive content, record lists, historical features and more for as low as $9.99 for three months. For details, CLICK HERE.
To see our first CIF SoCal Bowl Board and which teams would be in the same CIF state divisions, CLICK HERE.
NOTES TO KNOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN
1. Each board is based on the Cal-Hi Sports state rankings and how we’d rank the teams as of the current week. The teams on the board represent the highest-ranked team within each section playoff division.
2. Teams on the board will change constantly as the playoffs unfold within each division. These are extremely fluid lineups of teams.
3. There is no CIF Small Schools Open Division game this season and this year there also is no stipulation that the Division I, Division III and Division V teams from the CIF Central Section will be in the north. The only rule the CIF is following when the commissioners meet on Dec. 4 is that three teams from either the Central Section or Southern Section could be placed into a NorCal regional bowl game. This is because some areas of the Southern Section (think San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara counties) are actually to the north of some counties in the Central Section.
4. There is one more team in the north this season due to the creation of CIF North Coast Section Open Division. This will allow the NCS to choose its Open Division runner-up for one of six teams that would move on after the section playoffs. The NCS, however, would only be sending its D1 champion on to a regional bowl game if its Open Division champion or runner-up is not from Division I, which is not likely.
5. There will be two play-in games in the north this year instead of one for the smallest division. This has more to do with the calendar than anything else since the smaller schools in the Sac-Joaquin Section and all of the schools in the Northern Section and in Oakland-San Francisco are done with their playoffs one week earlier than the rest of the state.
6. All teams that qualify for the board on Dec. 4 by winning a CIF section title will be seeded in order from No. 1 through No. 23 with the teams in Division 6A having already been determined one week earlier. An Open Division runner-up also can be seeded higher than any section champion based on established criteria, such as head-to-head results or strength of schedule.
7. Finally, remember that schools can elect not to participate in the CIF bowl games. This simulation was run assuming that every section champion will want to be in the bowl games.
CIF BOWL BOARD
(Listed in ranking order)
(Does not include any results from Thursday night, Oct. 13 or Friday, Oct. 14)
De La Salle (Concord) 5-1
CIF North Coast Section Open Division representative
St. Mary’s (Stockton) 5-1 vs. Monte Vista (Danville) 5-1
Sac-Joaquin Section D1 projected winner based on this week’s state rankings & NCS Open Division runner-Up
Valley Christian (San Jose) 6-0) vs. Sacramento 5-1
Central Coast Section Open Division II & Sac-Joaquin Division III
Del Oro (Loomis) 5-1 vs. Clovis 6-0
Sac-Joaquin Division II & Central Section Division I
Serra (San Mateo) 2-4 vs. Cardinal Newman (Santa Rosa) 5-1
CCS Open D2 runner-up & NCS Division IV
Sutter 6-0 vs. Bellarmine (San Jose) 4-2
Northern Section Division II & CCS Open D1
(We have Bellarmine higher than Cardinal Newman in Bay Area rankings but CIF isn’t going to pick two teams from the same league in a CIF regional bowl game)
Sanger 6-0 vs. San Benito (Hollister) 6-0
Central Section Division II & CCS Open D1 runner-up
Sonora 6-0 vs. Palma (Salinas) 4-2
Sac-Joaquin Division V & CCS Division III
Paradise 6-0 vs. McClymonds (Oakland) 4-1
Northern Section Division I & Oakland Section
Calaveras (San Andreas) 6-1 vs. Campolindo (Moraga) 4-2
Sac-Joaquin Division IV & NCS Division II
Miramonte (Orinda) 5-1 vs. Chowchilla 6-0
NCS Division III & Central Section Division IV
East Nicolaus 6-0 vs. St. Patrick/St. Vincent (Vallejo) 6-0
Northern Section Division IV & NCS Division V
(Play In Games)
Bradshaw Christian (Sacramento) 6-0 vs. Mission (San Francisco) 2-4
Stone Ridge Christian (Merced) 6-0 vs. Quincy 6-0
Note: These four would be seeded separately with 1 playing 4 and 2 playing 3. They’d be Sac-Joaquin D6, San Francisco, Sac-Joaquin D7 and Northern Section D5.