Check below for this week’s new list of the State Top 20 boys and girls basketball rankings.
To read our breakdowns on each Top 20 team, why some of these rankings moves were made, which teams are on the bubble and for the next CIF divisional state rankings for both boys and girls basketball (which will be next week), you need to be a member of our Gold Club. Join our team today by CLICKING HERE..
NEW BOYS BASKETBALL
TOP 20 OVERALL RANKINGS
As veteran rankings compilers, we don’t make drastic moves with one loss or one big win for teams that play tough schedules or have a close loss. The top five of this week’s pecking order remains the same with three-time state champ Mater Dei in the pole position.
Sierra Canyon of Chatsworth and Monte Vista of Danville make nice moves up while Bishop Montgomery of Torrance, Chaminade of West Hills and Capital Christian of Sacramento don’t fall too far for a single loss.
Long Beach Poly, meanwhile, is the top newcomer with a big Moore League win over Compton (which was No. 11 last week and recently pushed No. 2 Loyola to overtime) and then another strong showing on the road with a win over NorCal power De La Salle of Concord on Monday night at the MLK Classic.
For some teams, the second round of league play will determine whether or not they move in — or fall out — of upcoming state rankings.
(Compiled by Ronnie Flores with assistance from Mark Tennis; updated through games played Monday, Jan. 20; previous rating in parentheses)
1. (1) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 19-0
2. (2) Loyola (Los Angeles) 16-1
3. (3) Centennial (Corona) 14-2
4. (4) Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) 10-4
5. (5) Etiwanda 16-3
6. (7) Redondo Union (Redondo Beach) 14-3
7. (13) Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth) 17-2
8. (15) Monte Vista (Danville) 16-0
9. (8) Bishop Montgomery (Torrance) 16-2
10. (10) Westchester (Los Angeles) 15-4
11. (6) Chaminade (West Hills) 14-2
12. (16) St. John Bosco (Bellflower) 12-6
13. (17) Chino Hills 14-4
14. (9) Capital Christian (Sacramento) 15-3
15. (NR) Long Beach Poly (Long Beach) 13-6
16. (11) Compton 14-4
17. (NR) J.W. North (Riverside) 17-0*
18. (12) Cantwell Sacred Heart (Montebello) 13-5
19. (19) Mayfair (Lakewood) 15-5
20. (NR) St. Augustine (San Diego) 17-2
*Forfeit loss not included
Dropped Out: Previous No. 14 Jesuit (Carmichael); No. 18 Archbishop Mitty (San Jose); No. 20 El Camino Real (Woodland Hills).
NEW GIRLS BASKETBALL
TOP 20 OVERALL RANKINGS
Although going 0-2 at the Stockton St. Mary’s MLK Showcase didn’t hurt St. Mary’s of Berkeley too much in the state rankings because one loss was to new No. 3 Windward and because the Panthers still have a big win over No. 1 Mater Dei, it certainly muted any debate (at least for now) about the Panthers being higher than Mater Dei in any ranking with creditability. And it’s hard to see how anyone could rank Long Beach Poly higher than Mater Dei since the Monarchs have a head-to-head win over the Jackrabbits.
The bigger changes actually were more of a result of No. 8 Salesian of Richmond handing previous No. 9 and previously unbeaten Miramonte a loss on Monday night in Marin County. Miramonte, which had been ranked higher than Salesian in Northern California by others despite having not played as strong a schedule, had to fall behind Serra of Gardena, Sierra Canyon and Etiwanda after taking that loss. The Matadors have the opportunity to bounce back, especially because they are in the same CIF North Coast Section Division III playoffs as No. 7 Bishop O’Dowd of Oakland.
(Compiled by Harold Abend with assistance from Mark Tennis; updated through games played Monday, Jan. 20; no results from Monday included; previous rating in parentheses)
1. (1) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 16-1
2. (2) Long Beach Poly (Long Beach) 13-1
3. (5) Windward (Los Angeles) 15-2
4. (3) St. Mary’s (Berkeley) 13-4
5. (4) St. Mary’s (Stockton) 14-4
6. (6) Carondelet (Concord) 12-2
7. (7) Bishop O’Dowd (Oakland) 14-3
8. (8) Salesian (Richmond) 15-5
9. (10) Serra (Gardena) 16-2
10. (11) Sierra Canyon (Chatsworth 16-1
11. (12) Etiwanda 12-5
12. (9) Miramonte (Orinda) 15-1
13. (16) Camarillo 16-3
14. (14) Chaminade (West Hills) 16-3
15. (15) Clovis West (Fresno) 13-3
16. (17) Enterprise (Redding) 16-1
17. (20) Bishop Alemany (Mission Hills) 16-4
18. (13) Bishop’s (La Jolla) 16-3
19. (NR) Troy (Fullerton) 12-5
20. (19) St. Ignatius (San Francisco) 13-2
Dropped Out: Previous No. 18 Great Oak (Temecula)
Mark Tennis is the co-founder and publisher of CalHiSports.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to follow Mark, Ronnie Flores and Harold Abend on the Cal-Hi Sports Twitter handle: @CalHiSports