Part of the process for Cal-Hi Sports in getting ready for an upcoming school year and football season is updating various state record categories. Lists were just completed for longest win streaks (overall & league) and longest losing streaks. It may be awhile before we’re doing much for winning streaks since the longest current streak entering this season is just 12 (on-the-field). Unfortunately for the losing streaks, the all-time state record may get broken and it’s safe to say that’s one record nobody wants to see broken.
TO CHECK OUT GOLD CLUB LIST FOR LONGEST OVERALL AND LEAGUE WINNING STREAKS IN STATE HISTORY, CLICK HERE.
TO CHECK OUT GOLD CLUB LIST FOR LONGEST LOSING STREAKS, MOST POINTS ALLOWED IN A SEASON AND OTHER SIMILAR STATE RECORD CATEGORIES, CLICK HERE.
Note: This story on CalHiSports.com is free but the actual state record lists (which don’t exist anywhere else) are for Gold Club members of our site only. To get your membership at the low deal rate of $3.99 per month, CLICK HERE.
Longest Current Winning Streaks
There was only one of last season’s CIF divisional state champions that was unbeaten and that was Lincoln of San Francisco. The Mustangs won the Division 6-A crown with a 24-13 triumph over Orange Glen of Escondido. They were reported at 13-0, but one of those wins was by forfeit so for the Cal-Hi Sports state records it goes in as 12-0. One team that didn’t go to the CIF regional/state bowl games also finished unbeaten and that was Fall River of McArthur. It was the second straight year that the champion of the CIF Northern Section for Division V opted not to participate in the CIF bowls. Fall River ended 12-0 and had no forfeit wins. For on the field results, both Fall River and Lincoln would be considered to have the state’s longest current win streaks to start the season at 12 games. That’s the lowest number we have ever seen and good news for fans of competitive equity.
Longest League Winning Streaks
1. De La Salle of Concord resumed playing league games last season for the first time since 2011. The Spartans, who had been officially playing an independent schedule in recent years, faced four East Bay Athletic League schools in what were considered Mountain Division games and won all four games. The team’s league streak had been sitting at 90 games the the previous six years and would now be shown at 94. It also continues to be the state record. De La Salle has not lost a league game since 1989, but there were no official league games from 1998 to 2007 and again from 2012 to 2017.
2. Another East Bay school, McClymonds of Oakland, also the same team with three straight CIF state titles coming into this season, has been reported with a 63-game win streak against Oakland Section opponents. A league win streak, however, would count only regular season league victories. Eighteen of Mack’s 63 wins in that streak would be considered section playoff games. That 63-game streak also would be a record for one including league plus section playoff games. It’s league streak would be 45 games (5-0 for the last nine years). Mack’s last league loss was in 2009 to Oakland Tech (both including playoffs and regular season).
3. St. Mary’s of Stockton currently has the second-longest league win streak in the state at 60 games. The Rams haven’t lost a league game since 2006. Centennial of Corona’s streak in the Big VIII League also has now reached 50 and like the St. Mary’s streak is climbing up the state record chart. The Huskies’ last league loss was 29-28 to Norco in 2009. Another Sac-Joaquin Section school, Folsom, has won 41 straight league games. The Bulldogs have gone unbeaten and rarely challenged since the creation of the so-called Sierra Foothill League super conference in 2014 and there have been rumblings about them going independent in football (similar to many of the years that De La Salle has played as an independent). Folsom’s last league loss was in 2011 as a member of the Delta League to Pleasant Grove of Elk Grove. Sorry to see that Pleasant Grove was 0-10 last season.
Longest Losing Streaks
1. After a very difficult decade between 2000 and 2009 in which Mark Keppel of Alhambra had two different long losing streaks of 37 games (2001-2004) and 40 games (2005-2009), this decade hasn’t been much better. The Aztecs were 0-10 last season and start 2019 without a win on the field in 42 straight contests. Their last win came in 2014 by 50-26 over Workman (City of Industry). Officially, the losing streak would be 44 games. Two of those games, however, were defaults (games that were not played in which Keppel gave up a win). Another game looks to have been recorded as a forfeit loss but still a game that Keppel lost on the field. With another 0-10 season in 2019, the Aztecs would be on pace to put their current losing streak at 52 games. That would eclipse the state record of 49 set in 2008 by Ganesha of Pomona. Ganesha’s streak does not include a default win or a forfeit win.
2. Two other teams that have unfortunately gone up onto the all-time state list for losing streaks would be Centennial of Compton and Bella Vista of Fair Oaks. Centennial hasn’t won since is first game of the 2015 season (against Compton) and its 0-10 record from 2018 put its losing streak at 37 games. Bella Vista also went 0-10 for the third straight season and takes a 34-game losing streak into 2019. The Broncos don’t want to lose four in a row to start this season because then they would break the CIF Sac-Joaquin Section record of 36 set in 2005 by McClatchy of Sacramento. When Bella Vista’s losing streak began, the school was 34 games over .500 on its reported all-time record (which was put on MaxPreps). That all-time record would now be 256-256-6.
3. Hanford West of the CIF Central Section doesn’t have too long of a losing streak, but the team gave up 625 points last season in its 10 losses, which broke the state record of 619 points allowed in one season set in 2015 by Western Christian of Upland.
4. South East of South Gate also isn’t among those teams with the longest current losing streaks in the state, but also set a state record last season in 10 games by not scoring once. The previous record for most scoreless games in a season was nine, held by several schools (most recently Orange in 1981). South East also was shut out in its last game in 2017 and starts 2019 with 11 consecutive scoreless games. The state record is 12 set in 1937 by Bellarmine of San Jose and tied in 1979 by Borrego Springs.
5. After Mark Keppel (0-42), Centennial of Compton (0-37) and Bella Vista (0-34), teams with the next longest losing streaks to start the upcoming season would be Mt. Diablo of Concord at 0-23, Cathedral City at 0-22, Lynbrook of San Jose at 0-21, Novato at 0-20, Harbor of Santa Cruz at 0-19, Valhalla of El Cajon at 0-18, Madera South at 0-17, and El Cajon Valley of El Cajon at 0-17 (not counting a forfeit).
6. Finally, to end on a good note, congrats to two teams that snapped long losing streaks last season, led by Roybal of Los Angeles, which won its first game 16-8 against West Adams (Los Angeles) to break a 35-game losing streak. Western Christian of Upland also won its first game and put an end to a 31-game skid.
Mark Tennis is the co-founder and publisher of CalHiSports.com. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org. Don’t forget to follow Mark on the Cal-Hi Sports Twitter handle: @CalHiSports
I am a graduate of Mark Keppel High(Class of 77) and was wondering if you could fact check something for me and email me your findings. I was told by someone that went to “Keppel” more recently that the varsity football team hasn’t won a single Almont League game this century and not since somewhere in the 1997/98 range. I was on another high school website but could only go back to 2009ish. If you have the capability of going back to their last league win, could you let me know when that was?