Since we also are primarily responsible for doing the Student Sports FAB 50 national rankings, this week’s first installment of those rankings also means we’ve done an updated State Top 20. Preseason No. 1 Harvard-Westlake of North Hollywood has begun 7-0, including the championship at the Easton tourney. It also looks like the teams from Clovis Unified will be beating up on each other all spring and that could be the same for the West Catholic Athletic League. Two teams from those leagues — Clovis and St. Francis of Mountain View — would have been much higher in these rankings if they had not lost on Tuesday.
The main beneficiary of the Tuesday results was San Diego Section powerhouse Rancho Bernardo. The Broncos have begun 4-0 while the rest of the county’s top teams have been trading wins. With Mr. Baseball State Player of the Year candidate Alex Jackson leading the way, Rancho Bernardo was jumped up to No. 2 for this week’s rankings. On Friday, watch out for a big matchup in the Inland Empire when unbeatens Temecula Valley and Vista Murrieta will collide. Those two are ranked No. 10 and No. 11 in the state.
For the Student Sports FAB 50 national rankings, CLICK HERE.
To get your membership to the Cal-Hi Sports Gold Club so you can see all of our exclusive statewide baseball content, CLICK HERE. Note: We’ll do much more expanded packages of the State Top 20 starting next week and eventually will add divisional state rankings.
Here are the first regular season State Top 20 rankings (after games of Tuesday, March 18; preseason ranking in parentheses):
1. (1) Harvard-Westlake (North Hollywood) 7-0
2. (5) Rancho Bernardo (San Diego) 4-0
3. (10) Buchanan (Clovis) 11-1
4. (6) St. Francis (Mountain View) 5-1
5. (NR) JSerra (San Juan Capistrano) 5-1
6. (2) Loyola (Los Angeles) 5-1
7. (NR) Bellarmine (San Jose) 8-0
8. (3) Clovis North (Fresno) 10-2
9. (4) CLovis 13-2
10. (16) Temecula Valley (Temecula) 5-0
11. (NR) Vista Murrieta (Murrieta) 7-0
12. (NR) Hart (Newhall) 7-0-1
13. (NR) Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) 6-1
14. (NR) Clovis West (Fresno) 11-2-1
15. (13) Cathedral Catholic (San Diego) 3-1
16. (NR) Granada (Livermore) 6-0*
17. (NR) Chatsworth 7-1-1
18. (14) Huntington Beach 4-2
19. (NR) Esperanza (Anaheim) 5-1
20. (NR) Wilcox (Santa Clara) 8-1
Dropped Out From Preseason Rankings:
No. 7 Valley Christian (San Jose), No. 8 Mater Dei (Santa Ana), No. 9 Lutheran (Orange), No. 11 Elk Grove, No. 12 Fountain Valley, No. 15 Davis, No. 17 Serra (Gardena), No. 18 Serra (San Mateo), No. 19 College Park (Pleasant Hill), No. 20 Los Alamitos.
Teams On The Bubble:
Aliso Niguel (Aliso Viejo) 4-2
California (San Ramon) 5-0
De La Salle (Concord) 4-1*
Elk Grove 2-2
Jesuit (Carmichael) 4-1
Gahr (Cerritos) 5-1
Redlands East Valley (Redlands) 7-1
Corrections or comments? Email email@example.com.