Just for fun, since we also do the Student Sports FAB 50 national rankings in boys volleyball, here’s a look at an updated State Top 20 heading into this week’s first games of the CIF NorCal and SoCal championships.
Note that there are no state finals and that there are three divisions in the south compared to two for the north. It also appears that a few teams were listed with incorrect win-loss records on the CIF state draw sheets. Dana Hills, for example, is not 34-3 for D1 South and Corona del Mar is not 27-6 for D2 South unless both MaxPreps and OCVarsity have been completely wrong all season. Many teams in the State Top 20 lost in earlier rounds of the CIF Southern Section playoffs and therefore did not qualify for the CIF SoCal championships.
Huntington Beach won its second straight CIF Southern Section Division I title on Saturday night and is on track for a second straight mythical national title. For more on the Student Sports FAB 50, CLICK HERE.
1. Huntington Beach 36-0
2. Loyola (Los Angeles) 24-4
3. Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) 26-3
4. Redondo Union (Redondo Beach) 34-3
5. Buchanan (Clovis) 33-4
6. La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad) 26-6
7. Campolindo (Moraga) 33-2
8. Mountain View 31-3
9. Esperanza (Anaheim) 27-6
10. Deer Valley (Antioch) 39-2
11. Laguna Beach 28-6
12. San Marcos (Santa Barbara) 28-4
13. Trabuco Hills (Mission Viejo) 25-10
14. Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach) 26-9
15. Clovis West (Fresno) 25-10
16. Clovis 31-12
17. St. Francis (Mountain View) 29-6
18. Whitney (Rocklin) 30-5
19. Westlake (Westlake Village) 25-6
20. Newbury Park 27-3