Torrey Pines and Mitty stay in the top two slots, but there’s a lot of shuffling afterward. Menlo School of Atherton, meanwhile, gets in as this week’s only newcomer.
Please check out and bookmark our new Cal-Hi Sports Insider Blog: CalHiSports.com/blog For simple updates and insights, check out our twitter page @CalHiSports and for other updates please visit our Facebook page.
Thanks to anticipated twitter updates from the Daily Prep Talk web site, we figured we’d wait to get out this week’s new State Top 20 for girls volleyball until after a late Tuesday afternoon match between state No. 1 Torrey Pines of San Diego and rival La Costa Canyon, which also is in the State Top 20.
Torrey Pines won that match by scores of 25-21, 25-15, 25-13 which are not included in this week’s rankings for those teams.
This week’s rankings were impacted by a number of teams losing, but most of those teams still have strong enough bodies of work for the season so far and still have a lot in front of them so that the changes were minimal.
Menlo School of Atherton made the strongest impact with home wins over both Valley Christian of San Jose and Sacred Heart Cathedral of San Francisco. The Knights still have four other losses, however, so they were only able to go into this week’s rankings at No. 20.
CalHiSports.com Top 20
State Girls Volleyball Rankings
(Previous ranking in parentheses; through reported results of Monday night, Sept. 30)
1. (1) Torrey Pines (San Diego) 11-0
2. (2) Archbishop Mitty (San Jose) 16-2
3. (4) Los Alamitos 17-4
4. (7) Lakewood 15-4
5. (5) Sacred Heart Cathedral (San Francisco) 13-2
6. (3) Valley Christian (San Jose) 15-3
7. (9) Francis Parker (San Diego) 8-3
8. (10) La Salle (Pasadena) 8-2
9. (6) Mater Dei (Santa Ana) 15-3
10. (17) Redondo (Redondo Beach) 13-5
11. (11) Corona del Mar (Newport Beach) 7-2
12. (12) Granite Bay 13-0
13. (14) Redwood (Larkspur) 14-0
14. (15) La Costa Canyon (Carlsbad) 8-2
15. (16) Marymount (Los Angeles) 8-5
16. (18) St. Francis (Sacramento) 15-3
17. (13) Mira Costa (Manhattan Beach) 8-4
18. (8) Dana Hills (Dana Point) 10-5
19. (19) Lutheran (Orange) 10-5
20. (NR) Menlo School (Atherton) 10-4
Dropped Out: Previous No. 20 Monte Vista (Danville)
For this week’s new San Francisco Bay Area Top 10, CLICK HERE.
Note: We welcome all input about teams not included and the order although we tend not to change it if teams don’t lose. For comments or questions, email email@example.com.